Here in New Orleans, Carnival is in full swing! Parades are rolling, bands and marching and the food is plentiful as we await the coming of Mardi Gras Day. Want to bring the Mardi Gras spirit to your part of the world? Just follow these easy steps and “Laissez Bon Temps Rouler!”
1. Invite the Revelers: Gather the crowd and invite your guests to dress in costume or traditional Mardi Gras masks.
2. Set the Scene: What’s a party without balloons, streamers and confetti? The official colors of Mardi Gras are purple, green and gold, so you are going to want to grab these colors for decorations. I love this Mardi Gras tableware from Party City!
3. Fun with Food: New Orleanians know how to eat! The centerpiece of every party is the food, so start will a traditional menu of jambalaya (try the Zatarain’s mix) or seafood gumbo. Don’t forget the dessert! You absolutely HAVE to get a King Cake. Check out my Top 5 Places to Get an Original New Orleans King Cake.
4. You’re gonna need some music: Dance, eat and dance some more! Check out my favorite New Orleans Party Classics.
6. Throw Me Somethin’, Mista! Send your guests home with Mardi Gras beads so they remember the night forever!
In 2012, Mardi Gras will be on February 21st, so get those invites out now and start planning!