Easter is right around the corner and the bunny needs treats to leave in the baskets or at classroom parties. These Turtle Nilla Wafer Sandwiches will not disappoint! The recipe is so easy that any-bunny can make them (I crack myself up).
1 (11 ounce) box Nilla Wafers
1 (11 ounce) bag Rolos Caramel candies
1 (8 ounce) bag milk chocolate morsels
½ cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening, to improve chocolate consistency
How to Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Place half of the Nilla Wafers in a single layer on baking sheet. Unwrap candies and place one on each cookie.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the candies are soft but not runny. Remove from oven and immediately press another Nilla Wafer against the top of each to create a sandwich.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave on high, stirring every 15 to 20 seconds until melted. Do not overheat as the chocolate will seize. If the chocolate becomes tough, you can add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Do not add water.
- Cover each sandwich in chocolate (using this candy scoop will make it easy), allowing excess to run back into the bowl. Place the cookie on waxed paper.
- While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Allow chocolate to set completely before serving. To speed the process, you can place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer.