One of our absolute favorite family vacation destinations is pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean. The white sands, blue water, slow pace and sense of adventure make this spot on Earth a dream for families with toddlers, tweens and teens alike. If you’re looking to dip your toes in the Caribbean, read on for the 7 Best Caribbean Destinations for Kids.
1. Montego Bay is a major cruise ship port located on the north coast of Jamaica. We first visited MoBay as a stop on a Carnival Cruise but have also flown into Montego Bay recently for a family wedding (if you are considering flying as well, definitely look into Club MoBay service which is a must for families with young kids). We choose to venture away from the beach and took a family tubing trip down the Great River. My kids were 5 and 8 at the time and had a blast!
2. Nevis is a small, 36 square mile island in the Eastern Caribbean surrounded by reefs. This is important because with both coral reefs and a volcano, it provides numerous coves and beaches, each one slightly different from the next. And the best part? All of the beaches in Nevis are public and free! There is a beach to suit every taste, you just have to find it!
- The main beach is known as Pinney’s running from Charlestown to Cade’s Bay and consists of over 5 miles of sand bordering the Caribbean Sea. There are a few beach bars with the most famous being Sunshine’s. Now some parts of Pinney’s Beach are named for old sugar estates so you will find the locals at Paradise Beach, Montpelier Beach, Nelson’s Springs and even Ft. Ashby Beach. They are all segments of the same beach!
- Cade’s Bay, now known as Chrishi’s Beach, is just at the end of Pinney’s. There was at one time a lagoon that separated the two but now the lagoon is now only present after a big storm. The sand at Cade’s Bay is generally of a finer consistency and the water off-shore more shallow making a great beach for younger kids.
- Oualie (once called Mosquito Bay) is a smooth, calm and sheltered beach making it perfect for younger swimmers and water sports. Mosquitoes are no more common here than anywhere on Nevis; it was a misprint of old maps and was supposed to read Musqiteer Bay (old English spelling).
3. Negril is a beach resort town known for miles of sandy beaches and turquoise waters, especially Seven Mile Beach. We recently stayed at Beaches Negril, an all-inclusive resort providing many incredible amenities for families. Once at the resort, you don’t have to look any further for food, entertainment, beaches, swimming and many more family-friendly activities.
4. Mahogany Bay is a popular cruise ship port located on the island of Roatan. On a cruise, we elected to do a jungle tour complete with monkey encounters. My daughters absolutely loved this excursion and it provided lots of family memories!
Have you visited the Caribbean? I would love to hear about your best Caribbean Destinations for Kids and why they are perfect for family vacation destinations. Happy and safe travels!